Thursday, June 9, 2011

First Post

Many people have a blog these days, why would I want to start one? I just wanted to write about somethings things that might be on my mind or document some of the things that my two kids are doing.

A little about me, Manda. I am a mother, wife, and teacher. I have two wonderful girls, two and half and eight months. My husband is a sweet and caring man. We live out here in the desert of Nevada but are original from Michigan.

I work as school teacher, a career I have been in for about ten years. The last few years of my career have been out here in Nevada. That is the reason we have moved out here. A few years ago the school district I work for was recruiting like crazy, my husband and I moved out here. The job security is why we came here since we had none at the school in Michigan we were working at. It was great working here after a year we ended up working at the same school. This school was full of great staff, good leadership and students that were like diamonds in the rough that needed a little polishing. I enjoyed working there and this school felt in the grove of teaching and making a real difference. Then everything we came to the district for came into jeopardy. The school was being turned around meaning the principal was out and half of staff was out too.

Although we were not fired we did not have positions for next year. It was tough teaching the rest of the school year since this news was given to us in March. I did teach my students everyday  and made it through the curriculum. I feel my students did well in spite of some of there teachers giving up on them right after we got the news. It was hard to carry on with so much uncertainty in my life. It was hard to answer students questions about the school situation. The hardest question was from one student asking if I was mad at them since they were not "smart" I almost lost it with that questions. Yes, we were in this situation based on student test scores and the dropout rate but the ones that came to class were not the problem. It was the lazy students who came to school and did come to class. Many questions ran through my mind, the rest of the year, Will I have a job next year, am I a good teacher, how are we going to mange to live? Were all questions that ran through my mind on a daily basis.

The process of reapplying and having some teachers get cut and others rehired really took a toll. It was definitely stretched out too long. I did decide not to reapply, for many reason. However, my husband did reapply and really wanted to stay. The school was his home away from home, he coached there and was building a program. However, this was were I became the bitter wife when he did not get rehired. I did not understand that decision, he did everything that the new principal wanted, involved with the school and the students. I was like really why not him? Some of the people that were kept in his department really had me question the vision of the school. I knew this was definitely a place I did not want to be, to make matter worse they offered him a job a week after they rejected him but, he had a job interview that day that many people helped to setup for him. After making him wait for over a month they wanted him to sign right then or not work at the school. Well he said I have and interview and can tell you after I go to it but he did not have that option. It was right then and there, so he had to tell them no. Then, he did not get the job. Needless to say the last month has me question every choice we have ever made. Should he just have said yes? Should we have stayed in MI? The only thing I have to hold onto for answers is God has a plan for us and we just don't know what that plan is, God will let us know in his time not ours.

So as this school year ends it is bitter sweet. I am glad the year is over but will miss some of the best people I have worked with. People  who are my friends.

As of right now both my husband and I are surplussed meaning we are waiting for positions at some school in the district. Hopefully this will get sorted out sometime and one or both of us will have a position.

I don't know how often I will post or what the next post will be about. I will see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment